Saturday, January 16, 2010

I’m Transgender: It is not a ‘pro-choice’ statement.

I was reading around the internet this morning, no specific destination when I came across a group discussion on transphobia. No, nothing unusual or new about that, simply that none of the participants identified as transgender. Yeah, “a friend of a friend is a transgendered lady” but didn't appear the person is transgender herself.

But what captured my attention was a statement alluding to that if a person that is transgender goes into a place or area that is ‘risky’ (whatever that means), they deserve to be discriminated against, they deserve to be hated, they deserve to be murdered.

Something is really wrong with that thought. Maybe I read that wrong.

All have heard my dissertations on being marginalized, discriminated against, called vile names. At least I hope so. The above statement tends to drag me back into that clueless thought that I chose to be transgender, that I pretend to be a girl, to choose a gender/anatomy mixup. But I didn’t.

 

Let me ask you this: Would anyone want to be called a whore, to be referred to as ‘psychologically diseased,’ to be refused entry to a bathroom, to be stared at everywhere one goes, to face discrimination simply for appearance, or raped and murdered simply for being oneself?

I hardly think being transgender is a choice.



It’ll be a cold day in hell, before this ‘T’ is silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment